Seashell painting

Have you ever collected any seashells?

While we are in India in our hometown we will not visit any beaches. After coming to the US during the summer weekends we started visiting beaches I hope everyone likes visiting beaches. So whenever we are visiting the beach I will look for shells on the seaside which became a habit of visiting beaches. So whenever come across a perfect shell I will collect and keep it in a separate bag. You can think about what to do with these shells? It's an amazing craft for making hangings, frames, or any decorating purpose. I like painting on it which is cool work to do. I will show you what I did with those seashells.

What kinds of shells did I collect?
 
I will always look for shells that are not broken. Always I will collect White clamshells ignore the sand, collect as many can find on the shore or you can even buy from stores also. 

Handpicked clamshells

How to clean the shells?

If you are planning to use handpicked shells don't forget to wash them in hot water, because they will have minute bacteria. So always wash it and keep it for drying before you start any work on it.

All you have to do is wash the shells in the running water, then keep them in a heat-resistant bowl. Now in a saucepan boil water with a little bit of salt in it. Then pour that boiling water into the heat-resistant bowl to wash the shells handle it very carefully as it is hot so don't get hurt, use safety gear. Leave the shells in the hot water for 5 to 10 minutes then place those shells on a surface to get dry, that's all it's a simple process.

How I painted those shells?

The first time when I collected those shells I used watercolor to paint on them because they had a rough surface. So choose the paint based on the surface of the shells, as some will have a soft surface some will have a rough surface.

Watercolored shells
The first time I picked the shells they had a rough surface so I did watercolor. I thought to use it as a frame so I glued it on cardboard. After gluing once it dried then I did Acrylic watercolor over it. As I don't know what to draw so Just colored it to make it look colorful.

Acrylic painting on shells,

If you got shells with smooth surfaces try Acrylic paint. All I used for those shells are Acrylic colors, earbuds, a match stick, and a tissue. The first thing we can do is to paint the background on the shell if you had your imagination try like that, or you can do a dot painting on it which was easy to try. So let's get started, here I am doing one shell, with tropical blue and white color for the background using shading brush. You can use colors you like.

1.Tropical blue and white Acrylic paint, seashell
and shading brush.

Now just drop the colors on the shell not more just a drop or you can put the colors on a palette and you can take it from that.
2. Dropped the colors on the shell.

Now to start shading, here I am going to start it from blue to white one layer.

3.Shading the color.
4. After shading the first layer.

After completing one layer if it looks dull you can make another layer to give the vibrant look so you can capture the vibrant look of the shell.

5.Background coloring completed.

Now time for your imagination, as always I like flowers so I am going to paint flowers,

6. Purple and pink flowers.

For painting, flower use an oval brush to do painting if you feel it's difficult you can try dot painting,

7.Flower painted shell.

The first time I have tried the dot painting on the shells you can try this also which will be comfortable for you if you are a beginner.  For this dot painting, you can do any colors of the background and use earbuds and match sticks to do the coloring. Always try contrasting colors so it will give attractive looks,


Dot painted seashells

How can you use those seashells?

we have painted those what can we do with them? do you have any idea? Here is my idea used those shells for decorating my table. I like scented candles so I kept those shells along with that. Scented candles help to refresh the mind and painted shells will light up the mood, you too try using a scented candle. You can use any other kind of decorated plate to keep those shells, it's a wonderful thing to do to decorate the room or table or even you can use these shells for party table decorations.


A plate of a scented candle and 
painted seashells.

Working space

Our decorating seashells are done you can also make frames out of this check the link below,


Try these ideas for using seashells and share your experience and feedback with me, I love to read and it helps me improve, Thank you. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZENTANGLE ART

Mandala art drawing

Acrylic painting with plates